Thursday 13 November 2008

Studio 5 in Japan, the tour continues.



After a couple of days rest an other train journey to Osaka.
Two days of work shops with students making some four books. Lots work in keeping the pace up, making sure that everyone understands and is able to complete the work. A few of the students from Tokyo have joined the work shop as the books made are different. It is welcoming to see familiar faces but a little strange to have them with us. By that I mean that they must have had enough of me in Tokyo, it may be something else and I may be missing something of course.

The evenings are spent walking around and eating (no change there then)


A Korean restaurant, a table top, charcoal pot with marinaded meats gently burning. The perfect antidote to a cold Autumn night.



The damp evening and a side street, well away from the garish tourist drag, illuminated by a plethora of street signs. Well, what could I could not resist the charms of a small, local eatery.

From Osaka it is a short train journey to Nagoya, the next city on the Studio 5 tour. However, never let it be said that I am completely blind to culture.
An even shorter, local train jolly from Osaka and I found myself at one of the most famous World Heritage sites..


... Himeji Castle.








As I am sure you can imagine, I took a lot of images and will do my best to slip a few more in when time permits.

Back to the train station and train spotters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am one of your students from Tokyo. I am making a folio in your blog on 1 November 2008. Can you find my image in it? Both sides of the folio’s surfaces are covered with some beautiful hand-made marbled paper by A.M. the following day. It is my great pleasure to join the courses in Osaka. We have the same course, one of the two, in Tokyo, but many applicants rushed to it, luckily or unluckily the lot did not fall on me. Do you mean we must have had enough of you in Tokyo? Never! I can not imagine a workshop without you. Your instruction, demonstration, suggestion, support, songs, jokes, bye-bye-Kitty-chan; lots of original masterpieces lead me to the wonderful world of bookbinding. This is my first experience on bookbinding but I have found that making a book might be hard, easy, subtle, personal, artistic, fantastic and deep. I hope you enjoy the days left and food in Japan.